Sharjah Media Centre, the communications arm of the Government of Sharjah, launched the second edition of “50 Must Know Facts About Sharjah.” The first edition of the book “50 Must Know Facts About Sharjah” was released in November 2011 during the 30th Sharjah International Book Fair.
According to His Excellency Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed Al Qasimi, Chairman of Sharjah Media Corporation and Chairman of Sharjah Media Centre: “The book provides valuable information on Sharjah in both Arabic and English. Sporting an attractive and easy-to-read format, it substantiates each fact with a photograph especially shot by international lensman Simon Newton for this initiative. It also sheds light on some unknown but interesting historical, cultural, and tourism-related information about Sharjah in a bid to reiterate its position as a leading emirate in a number of diverse areas.”
Some facts caught our eye in the first "50 Must Know Facts About Sharjah" first edition and we had to share!
- His Highness Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, is the 18th ruler of the emirate from the Al Qasimi ruling family, which dates back to AD1600.
- Sharjah is the only emirate that shares its borders with the other six emirates of the UAE.
- The cost of industrial investment in Sharjah is 35 per cent lower than the rest of the UAE.
- The UAE’s first school, library and municipality were set up in Sharjah. It was also the first emirate to provide education for women in 1942.
- Sharjah was the first to establish an airport in the Gulf region.
For more information about the book and the Emirat of Sharjah, check out Media Centre's website.