Archicamp, the Kuwait-based educational program for students interested in pursuing an education and career in architecture, is back for its second year. The program will take place from June 16 to June 27, 2013 in Kuwait.
Founded by architect Dalal Al Bannay, Archicamp is an intensive educational program in Kuwait designed to educate high school students about the field of architecture – both the academic and the professional side. Al Bannay, who studied architecture at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC, and has worked at notable firms in Kuwait, noticed that many students who were interested in architecture had very little knowledge about what to expect when they actually enter university, nevertheless the actual workforce. After careful consideration, she decided to launch Archicamp in 2012.
The Archicamp program educates students about the principles of architecture through a series of lectures, workshops, and site field trips. Students will learn sketching/drafting, model making, creative thinking, and problem solving, and will create a portfolio for their college applications.
This year's program includes classes and seminars, fully supplied with materials and computer resources. Students will also embark on field trips, and have the opportunity to interact with architects and design professionals.
This year's lecturers are:
- Dalal Al-Bannay – Architect and Founder of Archicamp
- Alia Al-Ghunaim and Ghanem Shehab – Architects and founders of Optimus Designs
- Barrak Al-Babtain – Architect and founder of albabtain|design
- Jassim Al-Saddah – Architect and founder of bab.nimnim
- Jassim Al-Shehab – Head Architect of ARCHjs
- Samer Mohammad — Architect at Multitude Agency
- Sara Al-Fraih – TA at Kuwait University's School of Architecture
- Waleed Shaalan – SSHi Design Principal, Founder and Managing Partner of BrainStorm; a multi-disciplinary design firm
- Ali Al-Yousifi – A third year student in Kuwait University’s architecture program
- Ahmed Talal Al-Houli – An student at Kuwait University's architecture program.
At the end of the program, the students will present their final projects at a professional presentation, exhibit all their works and enjoy a reception for the students’ families and friends.
The program will take place from June 16 to June 27, 2013 in Kuwait at GUST University. The deadline for applications is June 01, 2013.
For more information and registration details visit www.archicamp.co
– Staff Writer